Tuesday, August 14, 2018

East and North to Highland Oaks Neighborhood Walk Around August 14, 2018

As I planned, on my walk today I traveled East into the single family residential neighborhood. I didn't walk yesterday due to the rainy weather. Likely in the future I won't skip my walk on account of rain.

While I took many photos I didn't necessarily do a lot of noticing because I did not have familiarity with much of what I came across. I live pretty close to where I usually work, but I tend to take the same route every day.
I availed myself to the chance of seeing places I hadn't before. For the most part I let the incorporation signs guide me!
So expect to see a bunch of those, and some random other thoughts. Press on an image 


Look at these dipping swales! I wonder how much higher the road is than the first floor of the condominiums on the north side of 191st Street. Also notice how much the driveway drips fro the street to the parking lot.


This part of the neighborhood has terrible car problems. Not only do we drive 30 mph down a high density residential street, with virtually no pedestrian crossing ability, but condos have given up lawn space, an sometimes cars resort to parking in the county swale.


The first NO sign I noticed on my walk. I've seen it hundreds of times, so it blend in to the scenery for me at this point. I wonder if the condominium association board approved the placement of this sign.

I also noticed this second tower above the building 1701. It has the same style of the other tower at the building center.

My block ends at a T. On Thursday's walk I went right so today I turned left.

The first YES sign on the walk. More of both to come.


This street corner has amazing shade from these two trees in the swale. Compare it to the shade-free places around it. I love tree cover! (Though make sure they're properly maintained.)
Organic bananas anyone?

Look at these hanging pods!

This tree took my breath away. What an attention hog!











I always wondered about this odd driveway situated just off Ives Dairy Road. It connects to at least five properties. One of them with the NO sign in the previous image.

I didn't want to stand in the middle of the road to take this image, but there's debris from a crash right in the middle. Ives Dairy and NE 24th is a traffic nightmare.

After stopping in at Highland Oaks Middle to say hello to some staff, I went right on my way home. Look how traffic gets stuck at 10:35 am on a Tuesday. 

After crossing the street on my walk signal I took this picture to show how traffic from over 30 seconds ago still hadn't moved. 

Though on private properties, this is one of the only views I have seen of any of the lakes surrounded by private single family residences. I wish the lakes were a bit more accessible to the comm.



Seems even video cameras didn't stop thieves from taking a couple bicycle wheels. Never leave bicycles in publicly visible places without having all easily detachable components under lock, preferably a metal U-Lock.

Aside from the all-access guard gates, I don't know any other entrances to this part of the neighborhood, but one could easily traverse this fence. 






Another one of these bodies of water which take up a significant portion of the surface area around here.

Yes sign on the left
The truck in the middle actually covers up a third YES sign. Bad timing on my part.
Based only on this walk around my neighborhood I think most people with an opinion support incorporation. I will continue to photograph signs I find throughout my walks. Perhaps I'll upgrade to bicycling soon so I can get a little further, like down to West Dixie, or up to 215th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Virgin Trains Brightline Bait & Switch

Something that concerned me greatly when Miami-Dade County decided to fund the purchase and construction of a train station for the private ...